CBD or cannabidiol and THC or delta-9-tetrahydrocannabinol- is this what we know about them? Definitely not. There is much more to know about these two cannabinoids.
Both CBD and THC are the major and different chemicals present in Marijuana and hemp cannabis. These two natural compounds of marijuana get connected with our endocannabinoid system.
Here interesting to note that both interact with our cannabinoid receptors differently.
You need to read the complete article to buzz you in the learning of the differences.
- 1 CBD: At a Glance
- 2 THC: at a Glance
- 3 CBD and THC: The Similarities
- 4 THC and CBD: The Differences
- 5 THC and CBD: Main Differences
- 6 CBD Vs. THC: Medical Benefits Associated
- 7 Medical Benefits of THC:
- 8 CBD Vs. THC: Side Effects
- 9 CBD Vs THC: What are the Legalities and Laws?
- 10 CBD and THC: How do they react differently being Psychoactive compounds?
- 11 CBD Vs. THC: How they are present in Hemp and Marijuana?
- 12 CBD Vs. THC: How do they affect physical health?
CBD: At a Glance
CBD is the abbreviation of cannabidiol, is a non-intoxicating compound derived from marijuana and hemp. Different Cannabis contain CBD in variation on amount.
It works well on health and alertness and thus is a people’s favorite.
CBD is a well-known natural chemical to increase your stamina. The medicines with an acceptable amount of THC but a higher amount of CBD are well in use.
THC: at a Glance
THC or tetrahydrocannabinol is the most common compound in cannabis. It is considered to be responsible to activate cannabinoid receptors in a way to release dopamine.
Illegitimate names associated with Marijuana are the result of high THC. Typically, It reacts with cannabinoids present in our body and brain directly.
CBD and THC: The Similarities
Ahead of the talk of their differences, let us throw light on their similarities. Yes, they have many things in common and these lead to confusion.
- First of all, CBD and THC share a common molecular structure. Both of them consist of 21 Carbon, 30 Hydrogen, and 2 Oxygen atoms.
- The difference is found in their arrangements.
- In addition to this, they both are psychoactive compounds and interact with our cannabinoids receptors yet, in a different way.
- Both are originated from Marijuana. Though hemp plant produce CBD.
- Both of these psychoactive products, they have common methods to take in Like: Smoking, Vaping, Edibles, Oil / Cream/ Topicals.
THC and CBD: The Differences
If there is so much in common between CBD and THC, What’s the difference then?
Having known the similarities between the two, it’s time to find the key differences above and beyond.
We are explaining here all the differences to satisfy your curiosity and increase your knowledge. Let’s dive in!
THC and CBD: Main Differences
You should know the main differences in the properties of both chemicals present in cannabis plant.
- CBD doesn’t connect to the receptors in the brain.
- CBD drug is considered safe even if you take them in a large amount.
- CBD being a non-intoxicant, would not result in keeping you high.
- CBD is safe for both humans and animals. Thus, used widely in vet medicines.
- Even considered as a psychoactive compound, CBD helps in keeping the endocannabinoids and bloodstream levels high.
- CBD can be Hemp-derived and marijuana-derived.
- It is legal to use Hemp-derived CBD products in many states.
- It is advised to use CBD gummies in the daytime.
- CBD oil is one of the widely used CBD product.
- It is best known for being an intoxicant compound. It tends to put you on the couch.
- THC connects to the brain directly.
- Higher amounts of THC levels are injurious to health as it keeps you high.
- Lower doses of THC works well on depression and anxiety, and higher doses of THC are not preferred to use.
- It can be extracted from Marijuana only. Hemp doesn’t contain it.
- THC is legal to use in Canada, Uruguay, and some states of America.
- THC is best taken at night as it typically makes you high throughout the day.
Now you have understood the basic differences between the two.
CBD Vs. THC: Medical Benefits Associated
The cannabis plant is widely used medically. CBD, as well as THC, have both are medically used with proven benefits.
Medical Benefits of CBD:
Research has shown the following of CBD in the treatment of the following –
- Loss in Appetite
- Muscle spasms
- decreasing bone density
- Effects anxiety levels
- treat Insomnia effectively
- Effects on addiction
- Treat Chronic pain
- Treat Nausea
Medical Benefits of THC:
The doctor advises the usage of THC drug in the treatment of the following health-related issues-
- Chronic pain
- Appetite loss
- Muscle Spasticity
It is obvious that one should not use products or drug containing high THC.
CBD Vs. THC: Side Effects
You have just learned about the benefits of both CBD and THC. Now, it is of utmost importance to have a look at the side effect associated with the usage of both Cannabis compounds.
Side Effects of CBD:
Side effects of CBD products are merely found. Due to being a high tolerant compound, It doesn’t have any significant side effects on the human body. It is considered animal-safe too.
Check out World Health Organization (WHO), where it is specified that CBD is safe even if taken in a large dose.
Still, CBD being a chemical product shows the following effects-
- change in appetite
- Dizziness sometimes
- Fatigue sign
- Weight loss
Side Effects of THC:
In contrast to CBD, THC shows relevant and significant side effects. Drugs that only contain 0.2-0.3 percent of THC are measured safe. There are many side effects associated with THC products.
- Memory Loss
- Red Eyes
- Dry Mouth
- Affects the response rate by slowing it
- Increase heart rate
- The person feels sign of being high all the time
These are the reasons why use of the drug and the products of the above is still illegal worldwide. Though it is legal in Canada.
Research has shown the medications of both cannabis either CBD or THC are not fatal. Though one must take care of the amount of THC being taken.
CBD Vs THC: What are the Legalities and Laws?
Cannabis are attaining new popularity heights every day. And, thus Cannabis law is getting revised again and again for its better use. FDA (Food Development Authority) keeps a proper hold to ensure the safety, quality, and efficacy of cannabis drugs.
Needless to say that medications derived from cannabis plants need to go through a tedious clinical research process done by FDA.
If you are planning to buy some cannabis drugs or other products, you must be aware of the laws associated with the legal, illegal, and medical use of cannabis. Certainly, you will end up either paying up the penalties or punishment for violating laws.
Check the website link below to know the laws in Canada-
Cannabis laws and regulations – Canada.ca
CBD and THC: How do they react differently being Psychoactive compounds?
It is interesting to note that despite having a similar molecular structure and being a Psychoactive derivative of cannabis, Both CBD and THC react differently.
Interestingly, both cannabis and hemp produce CBD and THC, though the amount differs and this is why the difference is.
THC being highly Psychoactive connects to the CB1 receptors in the brain directly. This is the main reason why people feel high and also feel its pain-relieving capacity. As long as the legal amount of THC (0.3 %)is used, drug is medically accepted.
It is thus proven very useful in the treatment of Cancer.
On the other hand, CBD has soothing effects on the brain. Medically termed as psychoactive, yet doesn’t let you feel high. In fact, it possesses properties to keep you focused, helps in gaining memory. CBD gummies are highly recommended to reduce anxiety, nausea, and stress. In short, these natural chemical of cannabis plant contain several health benefits.
CBD Vs. THC: How they are present in Hemp and Marijuana?
Hemp and Marijuana both cannabis plant contain CBD and THC both. Then where is the difference?
Well here, you should know that only Marijuana is among one of the pair to produce significant amounts of THC.
However, Hemp produces both of them. Hemp contains plenty of CBD. CBD drugs or CBD products are an excellent substitute for THC.
CBD Vs. THC: How do they affect physical health?
Both THC and CBD products affect our mental state but differently. Medical research has shown the effects of both in our body or mind.
Both provide relief from discomfort caused by pain, injuries, stress, etc. CBD ensures not to make your body high during treatment.
While the other one provides solace from epilepsy, stress, anxiety by keeping you on the couch.
However, researchers are on to see the effects and side effects of THC on patients of Alzheimer’s.
Wrapping Up: Through a broad lens
We have seen the properties, products, benefits, and side effects of both THC and CBD. Cannabis plants naturally contain these cannabinoids and new products containing both are being developed day by day.
It is essential to have knowledge of the difference between the two ahead of buying them for personal use. Though it is safe to use CBD oil and its drug yet, you should consult your doctor foremost using them.
We tend to use a variety of CBD products in our daily life like soaps, cream, drugs, oil, etc. while the other is only for medical or restricted usage.
We are now well aware of the differences between the products of CBD and THC. Clearly, one concept doesn’t fit all cannabis. It is thus of utmost importance that you can not use any of them randomly. However, you can ingest if you have an understanding of the differences between CBD Vs. THC. Do visit the government website before taking this cannabis or their products and drugs.